According to several reports, the former Liverpool captain was getting ready to take over as Al-Ettifaq manager.
Steven Gerrard has confirmed he will not be returning to manage Saudi Arabian side Al-Ettifaq.
The former Liverpool hero, who was reportedly spotted in the Middle Eastern nation, had been strongly linked with joining Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, and other famous players in the Pro League. Although discussions were taking place, the 43-year-old has decided to pass up that opportunity for the time being.
After managing Liverpool’s under-18 team for a season, Gerrard began his managerial career in Scotland with Rangers, leading the Glasgow club to their first Scottish Premiership title in more than ten years. However, his second stint at Aston Villa did not go as expected.
Midway through the previous season, Gerrard was fired from his job as Villa Park’s manager. While he waits for another managerial opening, he has been working, among other things, as a pundit. He addressed the growing rumors about his new job offer on Monday night while seated in the Channel 4 studio.
“A lot has been said in the media, and a lot of it is untrue,” he said as he joined fellow former internationals Joe Cole and Jill Scott on the panel prior to England’s Euro 2024 qualifier vs North Macedonia.
“I was invited over to take a look at a potential offer, which I did, and I’ve been analyzing that over the past few days. I’m not going to accept that offer as it stands right now.”
After rising through the ranks at Liverpool, Gerrard played 710 games across all competitions for his beloved Reds, scoring 186 goals and dishing out 154 assists. He led the team for more than ten years while also winning seven significant awards, including the Champions League crown in 2005.
According to reports, Gerrard received support to succeed Khaled Al-Atwi as manager of Al-Ettifaq after the team finished seventh out of 16 teams in the Saudi Pro League the previous year.