The president of Paris Saint-Germain, Nasser Al Khelaifi has insisted he wants Kylian Mbappe to remain at the french capital despite being linked with moves to Liverpool and Real Madrid.
The 25-year-old Frenchman has less than six months remaining on his current deal with the club and reports in Spain earlier this month suggested that he had agreed to a move in principle to Real Madrid, two-and-a-half years after the La Liga giants had an offer in the region of £170m rejected for the striker.
However, Al Khelaifi admits he is not planning for life at PSG without Mbappe, who he insists is a “key” component of the Parisians’ project to compete for a maiden Champions League title.
Speaking to RMC Sport about the future of Mbappe after increased speculation in recent days, Al Khelaifi said:
“I want Kylian Mbappe to stay at PSG.
“He’s the best player in the world and the best club for him is PSG. He’s key for our project.”
Al Khelaifi, though, also admitted he is relaxed about Mbappe’s contract situation in Paris, saying:
“I have a gentleman agreement with Kylian Mbappé. It’s between Kylian and me so I won’t comment about money or details.
“I have a very good relationship with him. But this agreement is between us and it will stay between us.”
Speaking after scoring his 28th goal of the season last week, Mbappe, who is now free to sign a pre-contract agreement with any overseas suitors as January 1 saw his contract officially move into its final six months, admitted he is yet to make up his mind about his future despite such intense speculation.
“First of all, I’m very, very, motivated for this year. It’s very important,” said the Frenchman, as quoted by the Evening Standard.
“As I said, we’ve got titles to go after and we’ve already won one, so that’s already done. After that, no, I haven’t made up my mind yet.
“But in any case, with the agreement I made with the chairman (Nasser Al-Khelaifi) this summer, it doesn’t matter what I decide.
“We managed to protect all parties and preserve the club’s serenity for the challenges ahead, which remains the most important thing. So we’ll say it’s secondary.”
At Anfield, meanwhile, Reds gaffer Jurgen Klopp all but ruled out a move for the 2018 World Cup when speaking to Sky Sports Germany last July, insisting that the financial conditions of a move for the Frenchman don’t suit Liverpool “at all”.