PGMOL admit to VAR ‘blunder’ in Liverpool loss

The Professional Game Match Officials Limited have admitted to a blunder in Liverpool’s loss at Tottenham.

Jurgen Klopp’s side slipped to a late 2-1 defeat during Saturday’s Premier League clash in the capital but were enraged that Luis Diaz goal was not allowed.

The Colombian’s potential first-half leveller was overruled by referee Simon Hooper and his fellow officials without being referred to VAR for confirmation.

Now, the PGMOL have accepted the mistake in the game where the Reds were also reduced to nine men by Curtis Jones and Diogo Jota’s red cards.

“The PGMOL acknowledge a significant human error occurred during the first half of Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool,” a statement read.

“The goal by Luis Díaz was disallowed for offside by the on-field team of match officials.

“This was a clear and obvious factual error and should have resulted in the goal being awarded through VAR intervention. However, the VAR failed to intervene.

“PGMOL will conduct a full review into the circumstances which led to such error.”

Klopp admitted after the game that he was puzzled by the decision-making process, which was followed by Cody Gakpo’s equaliser just before half time.

He said: “I don’t think there is anything to say about the offside goal – I knew about it at half-time.

“In the first moment I thought it was clearly onside but you think they have a better view. I am pretty sure whoever made the decision didn’t do it on purpose.

“It didn’t take extremely long to come to the conclusion. That’s a bit strange but someone else has to explain.

“The linesman thought it was worth watching again – that’s why he raised the flag.

“In the good old times, the linesman should have seen it was not offside because we had these situations quite frequently and when you see it back it is pretty clear.”

In Another News,

Gary Neville gives Curtis Jones red card verdict after shock Tottenham vs Liverpool VAR decision

PGMOL admit to VAR 'blunder' in Liverpool loss

Curtis Jones was sent off in controversial fashion against Spurs in the first half to leave Liverpool down to 10 men after referee Simon Hooper upgraded a yellow card to red.

Gary Neville has strongly disagreed with the red card given to Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones just 25 minutes into the eagerly anticipated top of the table clash with Tottenham.

Jones, who had initially been given a yellow card by referee Simon Hooper, was sent off moments later after a VAR intervention on his tackle involving Yves Bissouma.

With the score at 0-0 at the time, Neville claimed that it would ‘ruin the game’ and expressed his uncertainty over what constitutes a red card now.

“No, I know when you’re doing someone on purpose, I’ve done myself in the past, and he’s not doing that,” the former Manchester United defender said on Sky Sports commentary of the match.

“He’s [the VAR] showing him [the referee] the end motion and that’s not how it actually is – his foot slips over the top of the ball. It’s never a red card and he’s going to get one if it’ll ruin the game.

“I think generally, he’s gone in genuinely but his foot slips on top of the ball. I’m not sure, I never am nowadays, I’m less sure about football than I ever have been but I don’t think he’s gone in with any malice.

“If you see the end part of it in slow motion, you’ll come to the conclusion that it’s a red card. You have to look at the full motion at full speed, the speed of these players going into the tackles, Bissouma is flying in and so is Curtis Jones. But look, I felt a yellow would’ve been fine with the ambiguity that exists on something like that.”

It’s already the third time that Liverpool have had a man sent off this season and they went on to win the previous two, including a comeback victory away at Newcastle. This one came after a lively start to the game between two of the three remaining unbeaten sides in the league.

It happened on the left side of the pitch midway into Tottenham’s defensive half when Jones sprinted in to nudge the ball away from Bissouma in what looked like a 50-50.

Bissouma beat his opposition number to the ball and Jones then continued on, grazing the top of the ball before his follow through took him into Bissouma’s ankle.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *